Following up on Part 1 of the article How to Choose a Great Brand Name, here’s the sequel!
Want to learn more tips about the naming process?
If so, keep reading…
For the 2nd part of this article, we are going to go over the following topics:
- Characteristics of the Naming Process
- Avoiding Bullying in the Name
- Naming Methodology
- Winning Names
- 10 Practical Steps to Name a Brand
— NAMING —
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE NAMING PROCESS
When choosing a great brand name, there are a few questions that you may have to answer:
Is it easy to pronounce and write?
It shows the purpose of the brand and its personality?
What’s the single aspect that differentiates the brand from its competition?
Is the name easy to remember?
Is it “good on the eye”?
The appearance is as good as the sound?
Is the domain (URL) available?
Does it have good results SEO wise?
Can it be used internationally without distorting the meaning in another language?
AVOIDING “BULLYING” IN THE NAME
Considering that with the internet nowadays the information can travel a lot, you must be careful about the way you talk with your audience and it starts with the name of your brand.
Give preference to a “neutral” name, that cannot be misinterpreted and wont lead to any type of conflict or similar.
This is a 5-step method to create a brand name
- Do some research for possible brand names using the product/service that the company provides;
- Check out the competition, see what’s out there as far as pronunciation, writing and tendencies used by other brands.
- Build broad lists of names, without filtering the “bad ideas”;
- Let the creativity flow and filter later.
- Analyse every proposal according to the characteristics of the naming process;
- Eliminate the names that don’t fit the description or already in use by other brands.
- Test to see the performance of each name that resulted from the filtration;
- Take into consideration how the audience responded to the name.
- BRAND REGISTRATION
- Register the brand name;
- Buy the corresponding domains (check our prices here);
- Create Social Media profiles with the same name.
To choose the winning name, take into consideration the following:
-> Name’s meaning (the meaning itself and by association)
-> Relevant to the brand positioning in the market
-> Picture the name in a logo
-> “Feels” good?
See some examples of 2021s greatest brand names.
10 PRACTICAL STEPS TO NAME A BRAND
1) KNOW YOUR POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS
- Study your target audience – make queries or polls amongst potential buyers, for example.
2) ARTICULATE THE COMMUNICATION WITH THE BRAND’S HEART
- Purpose – Why does your company exist?
- Vision – What future do you want to help create? How is the future created by your company?
- Mission – What does the company propose to do? How does it create that future?
- Values – What are the principles that guide the behaviour of the company?
3) EXPLORE YOUR DIFFERENTIALS
- Understanding what makes your brand unique is the key to find THE name of the brand. For this, you should scan your competition and find out what is the differentiating factor.
4) CAUSE IMPACT
- Work on a name that has something singular and special, but is also flashy and different from what already exists.
5) MAKE IT SIMPLE
- Pick out a name that’s short and easy;
- Remember, “less is more”.
6) DRAW A NAME THAT’S EASY TO WRITE, PRONOUNCE AND WITH GOOD SONORITY
- Choose a name that has an easy writing, pronunciation and that sounds good;
- Be careful with words that may have double meaning or whose sound can be negative or pejorative.
7) SEND A MESSAGE
- The name must transmit the essence of the company/project.
8) HAVE A BRAINSTORMING SESSION
- Give-and-take ideas, even if they sound “silly”;
- Analyse multiple choices and narrow them down to those that best fit the project.
9) CHECK AVAILABILITY
- Check if the domain is available;
- Search on Google and Social Media if that name is already associated with any company.
10) TEST, TEST, TEST
- Test to see how your audience responds to the name you chose.
To sum up, the naming process takes patience and some time, but makes all the difference in the brand’s future.
A name well-chosen builds foundation creates the foundation to build a successful company in your niche.
Now you’re ready to choose a great brand name, just let the creativity flow and make it happen!
Feel free to reach out if you have any comments.